Thursday, September 30, 2010

Having a Mary Heart in a Martha World

Tiffani and I drove out to the desert this afternoon after CBS, so she could attend her Theology Book Club and I could meet with my MaryMartha group. We are always so thankful and filled up after meeting with the special people in these groups. That's why we can't let go of them (for at least this school year!).


If you haven't read Having a Mary Heart in a Martha World, we'd all hightly recommend it. Joanna Weaver has this amazing ability to teach by using personal story and images to create a new awareness in her reader. I'll be honest I bought this book, because I was compelled by the title and thought it was going to be one of those easy reads that I call a "bathtub book." You know...a good book, but easily read without pen in hand...good reminders and confirmation, but nothing really deep.

Was I in for a surprise when I attempted to read the first chapter in the bathtub without a pen! I had to put it down. And it was several months before I picked it back up...when Bethany suggested that we moms, who meet while our children discuss their books on Thursday night, should also read and discuss a book that would help us grow.

I suggested Ms. Weaver's book and we spent the summer reading, meeting and discussing it. And our time together has been so lovely! Filled with insight and hardship and joy and prayer. This little group of women has turned out to be one of the most precious groups in which I've ever participated. What an incredible blessing!

No comments: