Sunday, August 31, 2008

Sweet Music and a Child's Goodnight

Of all my mommy memories, I love to recall when Tiffani was little and wanted me to sing her to sleep. Everynight until she was about four years old, I'd sing various lullabies and two specific songs ~ the 3rd verse of Away in the Manger (Be near me Lord Jesus...) and The Flower that Shattered the Stone.

She recently told me that she'd get so sad when I sang The Flower that Shattered the Stone, because it was normally the last one that I'd sing and she knew that I'd be leaving her room. Awww...

We started recalling those precious nights as we walked around our neighborhood one dark evening, singing at the top of lungs. She'd found some old cassette tapes in a box that she just unpacked after two years. One of the cassettes was made specifically for her called Tiffani's Lullaby, where the Man on the Moon spoke to her. Very cute!

A few days later I came across this quote from Thomas Alva Edison:
Of all my inventions, I liked the phonograph best.
Life's most soothing things are sweet music and a child's goodnight.

And how perfect when the two of these are combined!
What special memory of your daughter(s) touches your heart??

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

When my 9 year old daughter was a baby I would sing "Oh how He loves you and me" while she was in the bathtub and she would lay on her back and kick and kick and smile and there would be water everywhere, but oh how precious it was. I haven't thought of that in quite some time. What a wonderful memory for today! Thank you so much for sharing yours and helping me to remember.